- “Be Afraid of the Bark!”
- —Tree Rex's official catchphrase
Tree Rex is a natural protector who is as wise as he is majestic, unwavering in his mission to protect Skylands from evil magic. He has also dedicated his life to mainting the natural balance of all things.
Long ago before the Giants protected Skylands, Tree Rex was a majestic tree living peacefully in the ancient woods. But this tranquil peace came to an end when the Arkeyans built a nearby factory to produce war machines. After years of his soil being poisoned by the magic and tech waste from the factory, he mutated into who he is now - a powerful Giant who will crush anything that threatens the natural order of things.
Long ago before the first Giant had set foot on Skylands, there stood a tall, towering tree. It loomed above the other trees in the forest and shielded the creatures below with its mighty branches. When the Arkeyans built a factory at the edge of the forest, little did they know it would ultimately spell their doom. Magic leaked from the factory, poisoning the soil over hundreds of years. Slowly, bit by bit, that tallest tree began to mutate. Its branches became arms, its trunk became a body and its roots formed into a particularly massive pair of legs. Tree Rex was born, and he wasn't happy. He immediately stomped the factory flat, then set off to find out who had stuck it there in the first place so he could stomp them flat too. Tree Rex believes there is a natural order to all things, and anyone who threatens that order had better prepare for a squishing.
The Kaos TrapWhen Hugo called for any available Skylander teams to help Stealth Elf, Pop Fizz and Wash Buckler against an army of trolls, Gill Grunt's team, which consisted of Star Strike and Tree Rex, were unable to help as they were busy evacuating the inhabitants of Stonetown from a flood released from a cracked dam. Tree Rex was holding back a stone slab to keep the rushing waters at bay, while ushering his two companions to hurry before it gave way.
Return of the Dragon King
When Malefor was on his way to attack the Skylanders Academy, Tree Rex, the Giants and other Skylanders were summoned to stop the evil dragon. The Giants managed to grab hold of the Malefor's tail to hold him down, but were caught off guard when the mechanical tail was also made as a weapon, allowing Malefor to knock Tree Rex and the other Giants off-balance. In the end, all forty Skylanders, including the Giants, were defeated in a single blow, allowing Malefor to absorb their powers with a crystal to make himself more powerful. Once the crystal was destroyed by Spyro, Tree Rex and the other Skylanders were granted back their strength and powers.
Rift into Overdrive
In response to the sky rifts appearing around Skylands, Tree Rex and the other Giants were assigned to directly protect the Core of Light stationed at the Skylanders Academy in case of a direct assault. The giant ent calmed Bouncer's fears when the robot giant expressed worry regarding the sky rifts that were threatening Skylands. Knowing that they are the first Skylanders, Tree Rex knew that the other Skylanders would look up to the Giants in need of courage and hoped that the others would find the answer to the rifts. When Kaos captured Master Eon and demanded the Skylanders to surrender the Core of Light, Spyro sent out the Giants, who proceeded to break apart the whole island, hurling the rocky remains at the attacking airships.
Tree Rex can smash his arm against the ground to crush enemies, and create massive shockwaves. When upgraded further, he can make his arm grow thorns, and cause even larger shockwaves. He can also charge at enemies and crush enemies with his elbow, and shoot solar beams at opponents.
In Skylanders: Battlecast, he is able to grow roots to restore his own health while increasing his maximum amount, being a formidable tank. His Special Ability is Overgrowth, increasing his max health, and his signature Gear is the Thorncaster, randomly increasing the cost of enemy spells. His scrapped card and signature Relic is the Deepwood Well, which gives power to the active character when they heal.
- Health: 430 (max. 860)
- Speed: 20 (max. 68)
- Armor: 24 (max. 54)
- Critical Hit: 40 (max. 90)
- Elemental Power: 25 (max. 75)
Warning: These stats are not used in any of the Skylander games. They are only listed for completeness reasons.
- Strength: 140
- Defense: 130
- Agility: 55
- Luck: 55
| Basic Abilities|
These abilities are available from the start of the game.
|Shockwave Slam||Sequoia Stampede||
|Big Thorn Shockwave Slam||Photosynthesis Cannon||Super Stampede||Treefolk Tripleshot|
Press and hold Attack 1 for a bigger, more powerful Shockwave Slam.
Press Attack 3 to harness the power of the sun and shoot light beams.
Sequoia Stampede attack does increased damage.
Photosynthesis Cannon fires triple burst shots.
|Titanic Elbow Drop||Lightfooted||Ultimate Stampede|
Press Attack 1 while charging to perform one serious elbow drop move.
Tree Rex can now charge for longer and at double speed.
Sequoia Stampede attack does maximum damage.
|Super-Charged Vaporizer||Sun Skewer||The Pod Maker|
Hold down Attack 3 to charge up the Photosynthesis Cannon for more damage.
Photosynthesis Cannon blasts through enemies and explodes for more damage.
Vaporized enemies turn into exploding plant pods.
|Tree Party||Tap and Sap||Tree Wrecked|
|Thorncaster - Gear||Back to Your Roots||Overgrowth - Special Ability|
Skylanders can use abilities depending on their level.
- Tree Branch of Reckoning (Primary Attack): Press (Y) to smash all nearby enemies with your fist.
- Treefolk Tripleshot (Secondary Attack): Press (X) to fire off three bursts of the energy.
- Big Thorn Hammerfist (requires level: 3): Hold (Y) to charge up a Giant Hammerfist, then release to strike down and send enemies flying. Charged attacks deal more damage to a larger area.
- Life Laser (requires level: 6): Hold (X) to charge up the Life Laser. This beam pierces through all enemies in its path, dealing a large amount of damage.
- Wilderness Stampede (requires level: 9): Press (Y) while sprinting (A) to do a powerful Elbow Drop! Tree Rex can also sprint for a longer time.
Mystic Seeker Scroll
- Gain a 20% None bonus while in the Radiant Isles. The scroll for this upgrade can be found in None.
- Monster Masher: Defeat 1000 enemies.
- Chow Hound: Eat 50 pieces of food.
- Arena Artist: Complete an arena without taking any damage.
- Battle Champ: Win 10 PvP matches.
- Heroic Challenger: Complete a heroic challenge without taking any damage.
- Elementalist: Cause 7500 elemental bonus damage.
- Fully Stocked: Defeat 200 enemies while at full health.
- Melon Maestro: Hit targets 200 times while in a Turret challenge.
- Timberrrrr!: Defeat 50 enemies by landing on them. Chompies don't count!
- Bad Guy Basher: Defeat 1000 enemies.
- Fruit Frontiersman: Eat 15 fruit.
- Flawless Challenger: Complete a non-Story Mode level at full health.
- True Gladiator: Win 10 PVP matches.
- Totally Maxed Out: Reach level 20 and purchase all Upgrades for this Skylander.
- Elementalist: Deal 7500 elemental bonus damage.
- Defender of Life: Defeat 25 Undead Spell Punks.
- Fully Stocked: Defeat 250 enemies while at full health.
- Timberrrrr!: Defeat 50 enemies with your Woodpecker Pal.
- "Be Afraid of the Bark!"
- "Bouncy bouncy!"
- "Oh yeah!"
- "Spring time!"
- "All right!"
- "Come get some!"
- "All bark and all bite!"
- "No stopping me!"
- "Took you to the wood shed!
- "That's what I'm talking about!"
- "You got tree wrecked!"
- "Coming through!"
- "Bring it on!"
- "Giants rule!"
- "Back to my roots!" - when in Elemental Zone
- "Branchin' out!" - when checking stats
- "My power has grown!"
- "Now that's a tree top!" - when given a hat
- "Yeah, lookin' pretty good!"
- "Now that has a nice ring to it!" - when given a nickname
- "A tree by any other name!"
- "Ready for action!" - when scanned in
- "Nature calls!" - when selected
- "That's what I'm talking about!"
- "Be afraid of the bark!" - Battle Introduction
- "Make it green!"
- "Tree Rex back in!" - swapping in
- "Bring me in!"
- "Logging out!" - swapping out
- "Time for a break!"
- "My power grows!" - rank up
- "Continued growth!"
- "Hey hey, I like it!" - Summoning a Gear
- "Tree-mendous!" - Summoning a Relic
- "Bringing it big time!"
- "All right!" - randomly when using spells
- "You've been sapped!" - Tap and Sap
- "Heh heh heh, sucker!"
- "I'm one with nature." - Back to Your Roots
- "Large and recharged!"
- "A natural disaster!" - Tree Wrecked
- "Go green or go home!"
- "The power to heal!" - Tree Party
- "The Tree of Life!"
- "You can't beat Mother Nature!" - Thorncaster
- "A force of nature!"
- "Barked up the wrong tree!" - KOed an enemy
- "You're out!"
- "Timber...!" - when defeated
- "Going down...!"
- "Win or lose, I'm still the best..." - defeat at the end of battle
- "Chopped down..."
- "You got tree wrecked!" - Victory
- "All bark and no bite!"
- "Easy there, tough guy!" - when poked
- "You're barking up the wrong tree."
- "Hey, watch the bark!"
- "Better knock it off!"
- "What's up?"
- "Getting stronger!" - Card Level Up
- "Branching out!"
- "I've got this! Take a seat, furball." - Obey Commercial
- "I'm a Giant, booyah."
- "You don't believe in unicorns do you?"
- "There's no shame in fear, Bouncer. Everybody here is feeling it. But we are the Giants, the first Skylanders. When others need courage, they will look to us. Not because we are the biggest, or the strongest... but because even though we're afraid, we keep fighting." - Rift into Overdrive
- Tree Rex's name is a pun on the giant dinosaur, T. rex, also known as Tyrannosaurus rex.
- Tree Rex is voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson who voices Bulkhead from Transformers: Prime and Transformers: Robots in Disguise, Shredder from the 2012 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Dark Laser from The Fairly OddParents.
- Stump Smash is also voiced by Richardson. Coincidentally, both Skylanders are trees of **the Life element.
- Despite the rumors, counting his rings will not tell you Tree Rex's age.
- His official catchphrase is similar to one of Hex's phrases, "Fear the Dark!", Fright Rider's "Fear the Spear!", and Gill Grunt's "Fear the Fish!".
- His catchphrase is also a pun on "Be Afraid of the Dark!".
- Tree Rex was the first Giant revealed for Skylanders: Giants.
- One of his battle cries, "Bouncy Bouncy!" is the name of one of Eye-Brawl's upgrades.
- He and Cynder are the only Skylanders to have an ally follow them continuously. Coincidentally, these are both unlocked by Soul Gems and both Skylanders are included with the Starter Pack for Giants.
- He, Thumpback, Eye-Brawl, and Ninjini are the only Giants who have Minis.
- His name was first used for 3DS versions of Stump Demons.
- Early gameplay photos show Tree Rex's eyes as green, but in concept art and the final version they are blue.
- In Giants and Trap Team forward, Tree Rex is able to wipe out surrounding enemies with his Big Thorn Shockwave Slam. However in Swap Force, it can only attack enemies in front of him.
- Tree Rex's attacks all use his right arm, except for his Soul Gem.
- There is a glitch in the Wii version of SWAP Force where his Woodpecker Pal will sometimes not appear. Thus, when making his Soul Gem upgrade useless whenever this occurs.
- He, Bouncer, Swarm and Jet-Vac are the only Skylanders from Giants who had different voiceovers of their catchphrases during development and on their Meet the Skylanders videos.
- Tree Rex was planned for the second season of Skylanders Academy, but he was cut during budget reasons.