- “Hail to the Whale!”
- —Thumpback's official catchphrase
Thumpback is steadfast, dependable, trustworthy, and gifted with the patience of an angler.
Thumpback was once a crew member of The Phantom Tide, the most fearsome pirate ship in all of Skylands. But the actual pirating part about being a pirate didn't interest Thumpback so much as the benefits that came with traveling on a large ship. After all, his real passion was fishing. But when his chance came to finally ensnare the most elusive creature in the sky - the Leviathan Cloud Crab - he was pulled over board and carried off into the horizon. This was actually quite fortunate, because sometime later The Phantom Tide and its entire crew were banished to the Chest of Exile. Thumpback’s pirating days were over, but his legend as one of the first Skylanders had only just begun.
Thumpback was once a fearsome member of a pirate crew on board a very large ship (and it had to be large, what with him being a Giant). They sailed the seas, shivering their timbers, saying "aargh" and mucking about with treasure. But Thumpback wasn't happy. The pirate stuff was all well and good, but the big whale monster's real passion was fishing. When the opportunity arose to snag the biggest catch of his life - the legendary Leviathan Cloud Crab - Thumpback couldn't pass it up. Things didn't quite go according to plan, however, and Thumpback was carried off by the cloud crab. He refused to let go, and the rest of the pirate crew could only watch as he was dragged across the sky and over the distant horizon.
The cloud crab eventually got away, and Thumpback never found his ship again. His days as a pirate were over, but when he joined the other Giants to help fend off the Arkeyans, his days as a Skylander had only just begun.
- Health: 460 (max. 920)
- Speed: 20 (max. 68)
- Armor: 30 (max. 60)
- Critical Hit: 50 (max. 100)
- Elemental Power: 25 (max. 75)
Warning: These stats are not used in any of the Skylander games. They are only listed for completeness reasons.
- Strength: 150
- Defense: 150
- Agility: 60
- Luck: 40
These abilities are available from the start of the game.
|Anchor Assault||Belly Flop||
Press the Attack 1 button to swing Thumpback's anchor at enemies. Press Attack 1, Attack 1, Hold Attack 1 for a special combo!
Press Attack 2 to dive into a belly flop, damaging enemies.
Skylanders can buy new abilities from Persephone/Power Pods.
|A Whale Of A Chomp||Slippery Belly||The Whalest Chomp||Now There's An Anchor!|
Press Attack 3 for a big, whale-sized chomp.
Slide longer after a belly flop and do increased damage.
Bigger, most powerful Whale Chomp attack.
Increases Anchor Assault's damage.
|Thumpback Combos||Bermuda Triangle||Ultimate Anchor|
Press Attack 1, Attack 1, and Hold attack 2 for Power Swing.
Press Attack 1, Attack 1, and Hold Attack 3 for Whirlpool Ripper.
Increases the power of the Whirlpool Ripper combo attack.
Best anchor you can find! Does maximum damage.
|Up Close And Personal|
|Breakfast in Bed||Armor Of The Sea||Bash Sushi|
While Belly sliding, press Attack 3 to chomp enemies.
Seashells make for better armor.
Hold the Attack 3 button to release a stream of projectile water vomit, damaging enemies.
Hold the Anchor! (Active)
Mana cost: 2
First Whale Show? (Active)
Mana cost: 4
This Fishing Isn't So Bad (Active)
Mana cost: 3
Natural Strength (Passive)
Humpback Whale's Vitality (Leader Passive)
Skylanders can use abilities depending on their level.
- Anchor Assault (Primary Attack): Press (Y) repeatedly to hit enemies with your anchor.
- Grappling Iron (Secondary Attack): Press (X) to grapple enemies and pull them towards you. If you pull the enemy close enough, you will give them an extra smack with the side of your anchor!
- Ranged Anchor Assault (requires level: 3): Press (Y) to do ranged version of an Anchor Assault move.
- Whalecopter (requires level: 6): Hold the jump button to use your anchor as a helicopter blade. You can't fly, but you will get a little extra air time!
- Chomp! (requires level: 9): While sprinting, you will now chomp on enemies in your way. Enemies in range of your giant jaw will take massive damage and you will regain health for enemies you defeat.
- Monster Masher: Defeat 1000 enemies.
- Chow Hound: Eat 50 pieces of food.
- Arena Artist: Complete an arena without taking any damage.
- Battle Champ: Win 10 PvP matches.
- Heroic Challenger: Complete a heroic challenge without taking any damage.
- Elementalist: Cause 7500 elemental bonus damage.
- Waterfall: Knock 25 enemies off the edge of the world.
- Extinguished: Defeat an evil Fire Minion.
- Beached Whale: Defeat 8 enemies with one Belly Flop.
- Bad Guy Basher: Defeat 1000 enemies.
- Fruit Frontiersman: Eat 15 fruit.
- Flawless Challenger: Complete a non-Story Mode level at full health.
- True Gladiator: Win 10 PVP matches.
- Totally Maxed Out: Reach level 20 and purchase all Upgrades for this Skylander.
- Elementalist: Deal 7500 elemental bonus damage.
- Extinguisher: Defeat 25 Fire Geargolems.
- A-Fish-Ionado: Catch 25 fish with the fishing rod.
- Beached Whale: Defeat 8 enemies with one Belly Flop.
- "Hail to the Whale!"
- "Water ho!"
- "Heave ho!"
- "Drop anchor!"
- "Sea spin!"
- "Let's make some waves!"
- "Let's turn the tide!"
- "You're in the splash zone!"
- "Time to drop anchor!"
- "Make the wave!"
- "A sea of strength!" - when checking stats
- "Big and mighty numbers!" - when checking stats
- "An interesting look for me." - when given a hat
- "Not bad. I hope it fits my big head." - when given a hat
- "Not bad!" - when given a nickname
- "Sounds big. I like it!" - when given a nickname
- "Uh-oh! We got company." Face Off commercial
- "Let's dance... Turtle!"
- "Yeesh. This is taking forever."
- "Hail to the Mail!" Easter Egg Hunt commercial
- It is rumored that six fully grown Skylanders could fit inside Thumpback's mouth, not that they'd want to.
- According to an interview with Thumpback in the Skylanders: 2014 Annual, Thumpback states that the Leviathan Cloud Crab has a shell the size of a large house, and has claws that can cut a ship in two.
- In the Ninteno 3DS version of Skylanders: Giants, Thumpback's anchor attack has a greater range, and it can pull enemies back to him, similar to Brawl and Chain's secondary attack.
- Thumpback is based on a Humpback Whale, despite having teeth, while humpback whales have long hair-like strips called baleen, which they use to filter out plankton in the water.
- Thumpback is tone deaf.
- His Heroic Challenge "The King's Breech" is a pun on "The King's Speech".
- Thumpback and Wash Buckler are the only Skylanders who were once part of a gang of pirates.
- Thumpback, Ninjini, and Crusher are the only Giants to have weapons that are not a part of their bodies.
- Thumpback's name is a combination of "Thump" and "Humpback".
- According to Lou Studdert, Thumpback was originally called Big Mouth Whale.
- Thumpback was the only Skylander in Ring of Heroes who was not part of any Relationship team. This is due to the fact that he was released after the Relationship update.
- He is also the final Skylander to be included in Ring of Heroes before the game's closure was announced.
- Skylanders 3 - Paul Reiche Talks Bafta, Lasers, Light-sensors, Voice, GPS and Boomer (FGTV 2.62), 16:50
- Skylanders: Universe - The Complete Collection, page 190
- Skylanders: Universe - Official Sticker Book, page 18
- Skylanders Universe: Book of Elements - Fire and Water, page 50
- Skylanders 10 Year Anniversary - A Conversation with the Developers (Developer Stories!)