- “Roast N' Toast!”
- —Sunburn's official catchphrase
Sunburn was originally more reptilian in appearance with no hint of avian features on him except for his feather-like tail. He was called Hot Flash and his other prototype name was Fire Dragon.
Nat Loh developed this character, using inspirations from Star Control 2 for Sunburn's teleportation abilities. Unlike the random teleportation of the Arilou Lalee'lay Skiff, Sunburn needed to reflect the player's intentions so that he always teleported to where the player wanted. In his Guided Teleportation upgrade, Nat built upon this concept to layer in complexity which comes together beautifully in his Flame Lord path. The Flight of the Phoenix upgrade and its art is a reference to the Phoenix's Firebird Mode from Battle of the Plants / G-Force / Gatchaman anime series that Nat saw as a child.
Like all dragons, Sunburn is quite the prankster, but hates evil with a passion. He uses his powers of teleportation to play practical jokes on his Skylander buddies, appearing when they least expect it. He doesn't like to stay in one place for more than a minute at a time.
Born in the center of an active volcano, Sunburn is part dragon, part phoenix, and 100% fire power. He is very proud of his unique heritage, and is the only dragon and phoenix hybrid known to exist in Skylands. This rare combination makes him a desirable target for dark wizards and bounty hunters that seek to gain power by unlocking the secrets behind Sunburn’s ability to teleport. Joining the Skylanders gave Sunburn a way to help defend the world from evil, but also provided him with protection, as he remains one of the most sought after creatures in Skylands.
For years, soothsayers and psychics had predicted the birth of a dragon-phoenix cross. So, when the newly hatched Sunburn was catapulted into the world from his cozy volcanic nest, he became the drag-nix (or phoe-gon?) everyone wanted to meet. Sunburn became a target for every thief, bandit and evil sorcerer who wanted a piece of his powers. Thankfully, being able to both throw flames and teleport was a handy defense. Still for Sunburn, Skylands was not a safe place. Luckily, Master Eon also noticed his amazing abilities and made him a Skylander. This not only provided Sunburn with protection, but gave him a license to incinerate evil. It also provided plenty of opportunities to play teleporting pranks on his new teammates.
Stump Smash Crosses the Bone Dragon
Sunburn was one of the assembled Skylanders who attempted to fight against the rampaging Bone Dragon in the Giggling Forest, but was turned to stone. He was soon returned to normal when the Dragon agreed to un-freeze the petrified present characters.
Sunburn has the ability to breathe streams of fire. He also has a unique ability to teleport from one place to another, leaving a trail of flames behind. Sunburn is able to perform a fiery dash, where his speed increases while burning enemies in his path, which ends in an fiery explosion. It is said that his body temperature is so hot that his very molecules can't remain in one place and will teleport to a new location. Truth to be told, this ability has nothing to do with temperature, but is in fact a side effect of Sunburn being the only known half-dragon half-phoenix to exist.
- Health: 280 (max. 560)
- Speed: 43 (max. 91)
- Armor: 24 (max. 54)
- Critical Hit: 30 (max. 80)
- Elemental Power: 39 (max. 89)
Warning: These stats are not used in any of the Skylander games. They are only listed for completeness reasons.
- Strength: 60
- Defense: 65
- Agility: 65
- Luck: 70
These abilities are available from the start of the game.
|Flamethrower Breath||Immolation Teleport||
Flight of the Phoenix
Unleash a stream of flame breath
Teleport to another location, leaving a damaging flame behind.
|Guided Teleportation||Blazethrower||Phoenix Dash||Immolation Inflammation|
Control the direction of your teleport.
Flamethrower Breath does increased damage.
Perform a Phoenix Dash.
Flames left behind after teleporting do increased damage.
|Infinite Flame||Intense Heat||Phoenix Grand Blaze|
Endlessly use the Flamethrower Breath attack.
Hold the Flamethrow Breath attack longer for extra damage.
Hold Flamethrower Breath long enough to be surrounded by flame and do extra damage.
|Immolation Destruction||Flame Streaks||Burning Trail|
Flames left behind after teleporting are larger and do extra damage.
Teleporting creates streaks of flames that damage enemies.
Streaks of flames do increased damage.
Skylanders can use abilities depending on their level.
- Flamethrower (Primary Attack): Hold (Y) to unleash Sunburn's fiery breath attack. Sunburn can keep moving during a Flamethrower attack.
- Fireblink (Secondary Attack): Press (X) and Sunburn will teleport forwards. Sunburn damages nearby enemies whenever he teleports.
- Sunshine (requires level: 2): When Sunburn damages an enemy with a Fireblink (X), he will glow with energy for a few seconds. While glowing, he will move faster and deal more damage.
- Solar Flare (requires level: 5): Sprint (A) to form a circle of flares around Sunburn. These flares will damage any enemies they touch.
- Blue Sunburst (requires level: 8): Damage an enemy with a Flamethrower (Y) for a few seconds to shift to a blue flame. Release (Y) when the flame is blue to create an explosion, damaging nearby enemies.
- Monster Masher: Defeat 1000 enemies.
- Chow Hound: Eat 50 pieces of food.
- Arena Artist: Complete an arena without taking any damage.
- Battle Champ: Win 10 PvP matches.
- Heroic Challenger: Complete a heroic challenge without taking any damage.
- Elementalist: Cause 7500 elemental bonus damage.
- Bombardier: Defeat 25 enemies with bombs.
- Steamer: Defeat an evil Water Minion.
- Immolation Itinerant: Travel 1 mile (5280 feet) using Immolation Teleport (one full teleport is about 22 feet).
- Bad Guy Basher: Defeat 1000 enemies.
- Fruit Frontiersman: Eat 15 fruit.
- Flawless Challenger: Complete a non-Story Mode level at full health.
- True Gladiator: Win 10 PVP matches.
- Totally Maxed Out: Reach level 20 and purchase all Upgrades for this Skylander.
- Elementalist: Deal 7500 elemental bonus damage.
- Mega Melter: Defeat a total of 25 Ice Geargolems.
- Bombardier: Defeat 30 enemies with bombs.
- Immolation Itinerant: Defeat 100 enemies using Immolation Teleport.
- "Roast N' Toast!"
- "Rise and shine!"
- "I'll take it all!" - opening a treasure chest
- "More treasure!"
- "You got burned!"
- "Feel the flame!"
- "No problem."
- "It's toasty in here." - When in elemental zone
- "Gettin' stronger." - on stats screen
- "Lookin' good."
- "That should work." - when given a hat
- "Ok, let's go with that."
- "A name is a name!" - when given a nickname
- "Not bad."
- Images of Hot Flash, Sunburn's earlier reptilian design, can be found in early coloring book images and on the Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Carrying Case product.
- In a packaging for a prototype of Bash, the reptilian Sunburn was originally called Hot Flash.
- This original artwork is mistakenly displayed in Battle Mode of Spyro's Adventure (possibly a glitch exclusive to specific versions).
- Sunburn, along with Flashwing, Scratch and Blades are the only winged Skylanders who cannot fly in game; however, Sunburn and Flashwing are both seen flying in their promotion trailers, and both Sunburn and Scratch hover while performing some attacks (in Sunburn's case, he slightly hovers when using his Phoenix Dash attack).
- However, he is able to fly or at least hover in the 3DS version of Spyro's Adventure and Giants.
- Sunburn's feathers are so hot, you can fry a troll egg on them!
- He is one of the Skylanders in Spyro's Adventure who didn't make it to being a Series 2 in Skylanders: Giants, along with Boomer, Camo, Voodood, Ghost Roaster, Warnado, Dino-Rang, and Wham-Shell. (though Wham-Shell and Warnado get LightCore versions of themselves in Swap Force, Camo gets a Series 2 in the game and the rest of those Skylanders (Except for Sunburn) have an Eon's Elite in SuperChargers).
- As of Imaginators, Sunburn is the only dragon from Spyro's Adventure who never got a Series 2 or LightCore counterpart.
- He is able to teleport, and uses this ability to play pranks on the other Skylanders.
- He shares some similarities to Skywarp from the Transformers Franchise: Both are teleporting pranksters capable of flight.
- In the Skylanders Giants Official Guide, at one point, he is mistakenly called Sunbeam.
- At another part, he is referred to as a female.
- The explosions his teleporting ability leaves behind have a much smaller area of effect after Giants compared to the first game.
- He is also the only Skylander to have an area named after him/her, as in Dragon's Peak there is an area called Sunburn's Rest.
- However, a non-Skylander has a place named after it as well - Quigley (Quigley's Grotto).
- Sunburn is voiced by Troy Baker who voices Steeljaw in Transformers: Robots in Disguise (2015), Joel from The Last of Us, Loki in multiple Marvel Animated series, and Batman in Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes.
- He and Blades are currently the only dragon Skylanders who came in Adventure Packs.
- Sunburn is the only Skylander from Spyro's Adventure who has not had a repose in any sequel game so far.
- Interestingly, as of April 2019, Sunburn has yet to be added on Skylanders: Ring of Heroes nor has been a main character in any comics or books, making him the only Skylander to never get a major appearance since Spyro's Adventure.
- He is the only skylander in "Skylanders Spyro's Adventure" that was never reposed in the rest of the games.
- Senior character Gameplay designer
- Hester Studios Inc. Character Design for Film and Animation
- Skylanders Official Annual 2013, page 15
- Skylanders Universe: The Complete Collection, page 64
- Skylanders Official Sticker Book: Meet the Skylanders, page 24
- Skylanders: Universe, Sunburn entry