The Skylanders series is a video game franchise by Activision Publishing, Inc. that contains the concept of toys and video games coming together. Playable characters are unlocked in the game when their toy action figures are placed on a device called the Portal of Power. It serves as the second reboot and spin-off to the Spyro franchise.
The Skylanders are the main playable characters in the Skylanders series. They are legendary heroes; champions in the world of Skylands. Their ancient mission is to protect Skylands and its magical Core of Light that kept the ultimate force behind all evil, The Darkness, at bay. Using their magical powers and machinery, the Skylanders defended their world for generations with the help of the Portal Masters.
Spyro the Dragon is implied to take the leader role of the Skylanders when a Portal Master isn't available.
- Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure (2011)
- Skylanders: Giants (2012)
- Skylanders: Swap Force (2013)
- Skylanders: Trap Team (2014)
- Skylanders: SuperChargers (2015)
- Skylanders: Imaginators (2016)
- Skylanders: Universe (2011-2013; discontinued)
- Skylanders: Cloud Patrol (2012-2016; discontinued)
- Skylanders: Lost Islands (2012-2017; discontinued)
- Skylanders: Battlegrounds (2012-2016; discontinued)
- Skylanders: Battlecast (2016-2017; discontinued)
- Skylanders: Ring of Heroes (2018)
The main developers of the Skylanders series is Toys For Bob, who developed Spyro's Adventure and Giants. Vicarious Visions took over developing Skylanders: Swap Force, creating a whole new atmosphere for the franchise. As Skylanders became a $2 million dollar franchise, Activision announced that the franchise will be in a 2-year development rotation, with Toys for Bob working on Skylanders: Trap Team after they took a break last year when Vicarious Visions developed Swap Force.
- The Machine of Doom
- Spyro versus The Mega Monsters
- Gill Grunt and the Curse of the Fish Master
- Lightning Rod Faces the Cyclops Queen
- Terrafin Battles the Boom Brothers
- Cynder Confronts the Weather Wizard
- Stump Smash Crosses the Bone Dragon
- Eruptor Meets the Nightmare King
- Trigger Happy Targets the Evil Kaos
Misc. Official Books
- Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure (Official Strategy Guide)
- Skylanders: Giants (Official Strategy Guide)
- Book of Elements: Fire and Water
- Book of Elements: Magic and Tech
- Book of Elements: Life and Undead
- Book of Elements: Air and Earth
- Book of Kaos
- Each game was associated with certain colors, even those without base borders.
- Spyro's Adventure was associated with light blue, with green bases.
- Giants was associated with orange, with matching bases.
- Swap Force was associated with green, with cyan bases.
- Trap Team was associated with both red and blue, with red bases.
- SuperChargers was associated with vermillion, a much redder shade of orange compared to Giants'.
- Imaginators was associated with dark blue, close to black.
- The mobile games use two different colors for their logos - a blueish green and orange with a yellow gradient, though Battlegrounds has their positions inverted.
- 2017 was the first year that does not receive a main Skylanders title, receiving new content for Imaginators instead. In 2018, only the mobile game Ring of Heroes was released.
- Ring of Heroes, developed by Com2us, is the first Skylanders mobile game developed by someone not owned by Activision.