The Portal Masters are highly revered, powerful beings in the Skylanders series, that can control the Portal of Power at will. It is also the title of the young players from Earth who take on the the role of the Portal Master to control hundreds of different Skylanders.
The Portal Masters are the wisest and most powerful beings who have been protecting Skylands from The Darkness for centuries. There was a time, however, where it was summoned from the depths of a Spell Punk fortress, and the Portal Masters and their Skylanders almost lost the battle until the Core of Light, created by the Ancients, was rediscovered. Despite its defeat, the Darkness bestowed its power upon certain people with aptitude for Portal magic and corrupted them with dark thoughts, turning them into Dark Portal Masters.
However, the Nightmare King, Nefarion, came to power at some point. With the Mask of Power in his possession, Nefarion terrorized Skylands for hundreds of years and hunted down the Portal Masters one by one. The Portal Masters were on the brink of extinction, with many fleeing Skylands to escape their fate, until Nefarion was eventually defeated by the remaining Portal Master, Wizbit, who chose to stay behind and froze the Nightmare King in his own castle in eternal winter.
Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
A dark Portal Master named Kaos wanted to use his evil powers and The Darkness to take over Skylands. After destroying the Core of Light, Kaos banished all the Skylanders from Skylands to Earth, a world far from the magic of Skylands. The lack of magic on Earth turned them into toys, and it's up to the new Portal Master (the player) and the Skylanders to stop Kaos and save Skylands from disaster. Master Eon survived the destruction of the Core of Light, but had lost his body in the process and became a spirit. The new Portal Master was the chosen to save Skylands from Kaos by rebuilding the Core of Light using the eight Eternal Sources.
Skylanders: Ring of Heroes
After Kaos' meddling with the Book of Dark Magic, Portal Masters from Earth were dragged into Skylands by an interdimensional rift as the portals went out of control. They had to once again fight Kaos's forces in the Shattered Islands he brought from the rest of the universe, to stop the destruction caused by his rifts and find a way back home. In gameplay, the Portal Masters wander around Sky Island or react to the Skylanders' progress during battle, and collects a random item for the player once per day. Once Luminous was defeated and the book was taken from Kaos, Master Eon used it to send the Earth Portal Master back home, but as the Portal network was restored, they were able to return at will to help Skylands.
It is the duty of the Portal Master to decide the fate of Skylands. Neither royal blood nor a sea of gold can make anyone a Portal Master. Either they are lucky enough to be born with the power to wield a Portal or they are not. The number of Portal Masters rises and falls over the years, leading some to believe that the Portal Masters will simply appear when they're needed the most. The bonds between the Skylanders and their Portal Masters are unbreakable.
However, while there are good Portal Masters, there are also evil ones. With the help of The Darkness, Dark Portal Masters use their evil magic to spread darkness and havoc across Skylands, even summoning the most sinister of creatures to carry out their plans.
Portal Masters have great control over Portals of Power, allowing them to teleport other beings and objects, as well as using them to view events or far-away areas. They can also teleport themselves at the risk of being electrocuted. Portal Masters are born with powerful magic, as Kaos was able to bring the Wilikins to life with his magic at a very young age; a sign that he was indeed a Portal Master. Portal Masters can even use time spells, which they can use to alter the age of people or objects, as Master Eon used this spell to age a block of ice until it melted, and in Trap Team, Kaos was used by Wolfgang to travel 10,000 years into the future; this applies even to Earth Portal Masters such as Bruno.
In Ring of Heroes, it is mentioned that the Portal Masters' magical abilities bring the Skylanders' powers to their full potential, making the wizards an essential tool for the group even without active Portals. Theyu also have the ability to concentrate their power into elemental Cubes, making magic reserves for future generations of sorcerers. Some Portal Masters also develop special magic of their own, though their abilities are mostly passive.
Known Portal Masters
- Master Eon
- Kaos' Mom
- Kaos (Sensei)
- The Player
- Leo (The Discovery Trailer)
- Madeline (The Discovery trailer)
- Master Evilon
- Though Skylanders are generally shown to treat their Portal Masters with utmost respect, in Skylanders: Battlecast, they'll scold and even threaten their Battlecasters with violence should they harass the Skylander by poking. In Ring of Heroes, they have a more casual attitude towards the Earth Portal Masters, even joking about using their powers on them before clarifying their heroic disposition.
- In the book about the Hydra in the Spell Punk Library, it was stated that Dark Portal Masters keep a menagerie of various evil beasts and creatures, their favorite being the titular monster.
- Portal Masters may have slowed aging, as Portal Masters such as Master Eon were also alive before the SWAP Force were banished, which was one hundred years ago.
- The lore about Portal Masters does not apply to the Skylanders Academy TV show; instead, any creature can activate magitek portals to set locations under the right conditions, and the origin story of the Skylanders is much different. Oddly, they are still mentioned in Season 2, implying they had a hand in the creation of the devices.
- Eugenie and George in Ring of Heroes wear a sash bearing the Elemental symbols, just like Master Eon.
- Additionally, when they are initally dragged into Skylands, George is wearing typical Earth clothing, but at the character selection stage, all characters used to don outfits that have a more ancient look to them.
- Also, all four Earth Portal Masters have five fingers on each of their hands instead of four.