- “Filled with candy. And evil.”
- —Villain Vault
- “So Long, Sucker!”
- —Pain-Yatta's Sensei catchphrase
Pain-Yatta is a piñata monster who is one of the Magic villains in Skylanders: Trap Team. After changing his ways in Skylanders: Imaginators, he is now a Sensei that trains Imaginators of the Smasher Class.
Pain-Yatta is an aggressive and vengeful creature, taking out his frustration of being rejected by the Doom Raiders in his attempts to rule Skylands no matter how many would be harmed by his candy army. However his backstory and Ring of Heroes show he's gullible, and was easily tricked by the Doom Raiders into believing the Skylanders were responsible for the disappearance of his best friend, the Unocorn; and later by Kaos.
In Imaginators, however, he seems to have become more carefree and mocking, treating his fights like a party, though he takes his responsibility in protecting Skylands very seriously.
Skylanders: Trap Team
After his capture, the Skylanders took him and Chomp Chest to the Secret Sewers of Supreme Stink for their Villain Quests, along with fighting some of the local mutants and Goo Chompies along the way. His Villain Quest was with one of the Skaletones, Bag O' Bones, called "I'm With The Band". He then explained to the heroes that he was the manager of the Gecko Chorus along with a few other bands, and that the geckos had just finished their latest single that they wish to deliver to the Capybara King, but they had to cross enemy lines and trusted only Pain-Yatta as an escort. After successfully delivering the gramophone to him, he was awarded with Bag O' Bones' gratitude, the Rubber Glove Hat, and a new outfit.
Light in the Dark
Pain-Yatta captured and witnessed Spotlight and Blackout breaking out of his massive pinata using the elements of Light and Dark. As the two Skylanders flew off to report to Master Eon, Pain-Yatta announced his plans of a "candy catastrophe" that the Skylanders wouldn't be able to stop it in time.
Rejected by the Doom Raiders, Pain-Yatta formed his own plan to rule Skylands. He used the elements of Light and Dark siphoned from Spotlight and Blackout to construct and power an army of candy warriors, which emerged from various pinatas around Skylands and began terrorizing the inhabitants. When the Light and Dark Skylanders, Spotlight, Blackout, Knight Light and Knight Mare came to the Arkeyan ruins to investigate, Pain-Yatta confronted the heroes and overwhelmed them by unleashing a wave of candy.
Pain-Yatta imprisoned Spotlight, Blackout, Knight Light and Knight Mare inside a massive pinata version of himself as he prepared to lead his candy army in their victory over ruling Skylands. Knowing that he had used the energies of Light and Dark to power himself and his candy army, the villain was confident that the four Skylanders wouldn't dare to try and escape using their powers otherwise they would make Pain-Yatta stronger. However they overloaded the giant pinata with their Light and Dark abilities, causing it to explode and allowing the four Skylanders to escape. As he absorbed the Light and Dark energies released from the blast, Pain-Yatta gloated that the Skylanders only made him and his army more powerful than ever. Suddenly the villain became sick from absorbing too much energy, and his candy army all across Skylands crumbled to pieces as a result. In an attempt to drown the Light and Dark Skylanders in candy, Pain-Yatta could only muster the energy to cough up a single piece of candy, allowing the Skylanders to easily apprehend the weakened villain.
Skylanders: SuperChargers and Skylanders: SuperChargers Racing
Pain-Yatta makes an appearance in both the SuperVillain Cup of Skylanders: SuperChargers and the Wicked Tour of Skylanders: SuperChargers Racing, where he drives two near-identical piñata-based vehicles with a hippopotamus-like design. He uses a Land vehicle in the SuperVillain Cup, and a Sky vehicle in the Wicked Tour, where he replaces Lord Stratosfear as a playable Villain. Unlike his Land vehicle, his Sky vehicle is comically small, and has additional pig-like piñata rockets attached to its sides in order to achieve flight.
Skylanders: Ring of Heroes
Escaping prison through unknown means, Pain-Yatta fled to Rainbow Valley, and was discovered by Kaos. After his rifts created the Shattered Islands and he lost the Book of Dark Magic, the Dark Portal Master tried to hire Pain-Yatta as a Doom Raider on their behalf - not knowing that he was used to further their plans - and promised candy and a high ranking if the piñata found the book and dispatched any Skylanders that he came across. However, after fighting them recklessly and being defeated, Pain-Yatta realized that he was fooled by the villain, and decided to stay on the side of the heroes.
Growing up, Pain-Yatta's best friend was the legendary Unocorn, a unicorn with a churro-horn that sprinkles magical cinnamon from time to time. While the cinnamon donuts for breakfast were incredible, being so sweet and delicious made them both easy targets for those looking for yummy treats. But Pain-Yatta had no problem protecting the both of them with his giant sucker! One day, however, the Unocorn went missing, and Pain-Yatta was beside himself. He tried desperately to find his buddy, but to no avail. That's when the Doom Raiders tricked him into thinking that the Skylanders were behind it all, and Pain-Yatta fell for it hook, line and sinker. He joined up with the band of villains and ventured out to get revenge on the Skylanders, but was eventually captured by the Trap Masters. Master Eon explained that the Skylanders had nothing to do with the Unocorn's disappearance and said he would help Pain-Yatta find his friend, if he became a Skylander Sensei and trained new Imaginators in the ways of smashing! Pain-Yatta agreed and the search for the missing Unocorn continues.
In Trap Team, when used as a trapped villain, Pain-Yatta wields a giant lollipop, which he uses to smash his enemies with as his main attack. His secondary attack makes him spew out large amounts of candy from his mouth at targets. He usually spits out a piñata as well during this attack - hitting the piñata with the lollipop will make it explode. During his boss fight, he only uses lollipop attacks, which however have a greater area and create an expanding shockwave.
In the IDW Comics, at one point, he was able to create piñata warriors using the elements of Light and Dark. With this, he can empower himself and his army of candy soldiers to become stronger. However if too much energy is consumed, Pain-Yatta will become sick.
Like one would expect from piñatas, in Skylanders: Battlecast, hitting him will cause candy to fall out in the form of cards. However, he can also use it to his advantage, using its properties to force the opponent and himself to draw more cards, and then use several spells that cause more damage depending on how many they have.
|More Candy||Lucky Swing||Too Much Candy|
|Sugar Rush - Special Ability|
In Imaginators, Pain-Yatta retains his traditional attacks of lollipop slam and candy breath but now uses a variety of candy weapons with different attacks every time his current lollipop breaks. Pain-Yatta's traditional sucker causes a shockwave when broken; his pink lollipop leaves a candy pool which slows down enemies; his candy cane leaves dangerous shards on the ground. Combining the candy pool and shockwave will stun enemies. Additionally, he can summon miniature piñatas that distract enemies, then target them to explode. Upon taking damage, Pain-Yatta drops candy that restores health when picked up. Despite his bulk and size, Pain-Yatta is surprisingly nimble, allowing him to walk and smash with surprising speed.
His Soul Gem causes him to brandish a mariachi hat and two maracas, allowing him to drop explosive piñatas from the sky. Pain-Yatta's Sky-Chi allows him to hang himself by a string and hit himself, dropping candy that damages enemies.
- Health: ??? (max. 0)
- Speed: ?? (max. 48)
- Armor: ?? (max. 30)
- Critical Hit: ?? (max. 50)
- Elemental Power: ?? (max. 50)
Warning: These stats are not used in any of the Skylander games. They are only listed for completeness reasons.
- Strength: 200
- Defense: 200
- Agility: 150
- Luck: 350
| Basic Abilities|
These abilities are available from the start of the game.
Requires unlocking from the
Smasher Sensei Shrine
|Lollipop Slam||Candy Barf||
Everybody Dance Now
Party of One
|Break It Down!||Piñata Summon||Piñata Posse||You Are What You Eat|
Get to the good stuff! Lollipops now break much faster!
Press Attack 3 to summon a piñata that distracts enemies and explodes when hit!
Piñata Summon now creates three piñatas
You drop candy when you take damage! Pick it up to get health back!
|Sweet and Smashy!|
|Sour Sucker||Sugar Rush||Party Mode!|
Lollipop Slam can give you a Sour Sucker, which shocks enemies when it breaks!
Lollipops now break MUCH faster!
After breaking a lollipop, you enter PARTY MODE! For a short time, you deal more damage, take less damage, and move faster!
|Life of the Party!|
|Rock Candy!||After Party!||Candy Laser|
Lollipop Slam can give you a Rock Candy, which gives you a tough shield when it breaks!
A piñata magically appears anytime you defeat an enemy!
Hold Attack 2 for a spectacular candy laser attack!
- "Ha ha, I'm gonna stick it to ya."
- "You'll never lick me!"
- "What's there to decide? I'm filled with candy!"
- "I ate too much candy for this ride, NOOOOOOO!" - when trapping
- "Who wants CANNNNNDY!" - when summoned
- "Sweet, batter up!"
- "Haha, now those suckers will pay!"
- "Sweet dreams!"
- "Like taking candy from, well, anyone!"
- "Candy slam!"
- "Time to serve up some sweet justice!"
- "I'm not afraid of this place, I'm not afraid of anything. Except rain, and maybe trees and definitely blind-folded kids. But other than that--"
- "Hey, as long as no one hits me with a stick, I'm-I'm cool with whatever."
- "I don't have a good feeling about this place, I'm getting that blindfolded-kid feeling!"
- "You know, it's not that bad really being filled with candy except for when its hot, or really cold, or there are blindfolded kids around."
- "Since the Dreamcatcher has no stomach, she can eat as much candy as she wants! You can imagine how many problems that caused us."
- "Y...You're not expecting a party or anything here anytime soon, aren't ya? Just making sure."
- "You lookin' a little sour there, Skylander. Why not bring me in?"
- "Aww, no, we're out of time!" - Time Out
- "This sucker ain't ready." - No Timer
- "Oh no, I'm still hanging, not ready yet!"
- "I'm ready! Let's sweeten things up! *blows party horn*" - Full Timer
- "All charged up, and ready to swing! *blows party horn*"
- "Can't say I'm not curious about this. Bring me in." - Quest
- "Ooh, we should invite that Skylander to the party!" - Soul Gem
- "Nothing to shake your stick at, huh?" - checking stats
- "My name is Pain-Yatta, and I've been bad as long as I can remember!"
- "I maybe good at the mambo, but I am bad to the bone, amigo!!"
- "Don't let the bright colors fool you, I've got a dark side!"
- "Uh-oh, now that's a big stick, NOOOO!!!!"
- "Let me out, amigo!!"
Light in the Dark
- "They didn't take me seriously. They thought their precious Doom Raiders were too good for Pain-Yatta! But now they'll ALL regret it!"
- "My candy combatants will crush all opposition, and the Skylands will be mine forevermore! Hope everybody has a sweet tooth!"
- "Who wants candy?" - Battle Introduction
- "Going to bring the pain!"
- "Let's crush it!" - swapping in
- "Go time!"
- "Break time!" - swapping out
- "Gotta go."
- "Power rush!" - rank up
- "No pain, no gain!"
- "Looking good!" - Summoning a Gear
- "Fun for all!" - Summoning a Relic
- "Party time!"
- "Fill 'er up!" - More Candy
- "Oh yeah, that's the stuff!"
- "I might have overdone it." - Lucky Swing
- "Always room for more!"
- "There we go!" - Too Much Candy
- "Okay, got it."
- "So long, sucker!" - KOed an enemy
- "Sweet dreams!"
- "Not my day." - when defeated
- "And down I go."
- "Ending on a sour note..." - defeat at the end of battle
- "This makes me want to puke...!"
- "A real sweet victory!" - Victory
- "Crushed it!"
- "Okay, now." - when poked
- "Careful, before I bust open!"
- "You want a piece of me?"
- "Hey there!"
- "You're getting into a sticky situation."
- "Portal Master, whassup? I'm a Sensei now, and can totally train your Imaginators. It'll be sweet!" - Sensei Training Bonus
- "And you know what else is sweet? I can show other Smashers a Secret Technique!" - Secret Technique Bonus
- "This is gonna be sweet!" - Before a battle
- "This sure beats getting hit with a stick!" - Level-Up
- "You can't spell party without stats. Unless you really mispell party." - Checking statistics
- "Life of the party!" - Smasher Sensei Shrine
- Secret Sewers of Supreme Stink - I'm With The Band
Villain Theme ♫
Pain-Yatta's theme is Mexico City, from APM Music.
- While Pain-Yatta's promo art and figure has a white tooth, in-game, his tooth is a candy corn. This happened once again in Skylanders: Imaginators.
- His name is a combination of "pain" and "piñata".
- His voice was originally deeper in early stages of development.
- In his Meet the Villains video, Pain-Yatta speaks with a Spanish accent, provided by John DiMaggio.
- He is the only villain in Telescope Towers not to say "Heads up!". Bomb-Shell, who is from the same element, replaces him on this occasion.
- Pain-Yatta, Bad Juju, Blaster-Tron are the only non-Doom Raider characters to not have major changes in Imaginators, be it color scheme or element.
- However, all of them changed weapons; as Pain-Yatta cycles through different candy weapons, including his lollipop from Trap Team, Bad Juju uses a pair of daggers, and Blaster-Tron uses a sword.
- Unlike his official Imaginators artwork and figure form, Pain-Yatta's lollipop is in many different colors instead of mostly red and white.
- Both he and Trail Blazer have come across the Unocorn once, with the latter freeing it not long after the piñata lost his friend.
- His Soul Gem attack, "Everybody Dance Now" is a reference to the song of the same name.
- During a Grind Challenge, he and the Chompy Mage are the only Skylanders to slide on their behinds instead of their feet.
- Each of Pain-Yatta's lollipops have different effects:
- Traditional lollipops create a shockwave that knocks enemies back.
- Candy canes freezes enemies in place.
- Cake pops slow enemies down.
- Sour suckers shock enemies.
- Rock candies temporarily increases Pain-Yatta's armor.
- Since Pain-Yatta (and his species) are encountered in Telescope Towers, it's possible that someone dreamt of Pain-Yatta into being, or that his appearance in the Towers created dream copies of him.
- Pain-Yatta's story in Ring of Heroes appears to confirm its placement in the story before Imaginators, as he willingly gave up fighting the Skylanders after being defeated there.