- “I know everyone and everything. I am the Oracle of Skylands.”
- —Octavius Cloptimus
Octavius Cloptimus, also known as The Oracle of Skylands, is a mysterious character that first appeared in Skylanders: Giants. He is the mystical being the Molekin in Molekin Mountain are closely connected to.
Octavius is helpful despite his unknown goals, speaking in vague terms frequently. Ermit mentions that he's heard the Oracle is obsessed with his studies, and this is noticeable at the final Trial, as he doesn't care about the Skylander's honesty or lack thereof as long as it gives him data. Octavius believes that if he can watch enough people make enough choices, he will be able to know what choice anyone will make before they actually make it. So far, he has been able to do this for some things, but not everything.
The range of Octavius' abilities is unknown, though he has complete control over the appearance of his lair and where his test subjects go in it, as well as the ability to alter the real world to unknown extent. His knowledge of the past and the present is great, but as he cannot predict the future, he conducts research on it.
Octavius was visited by the Skylander, Flynn, Cali, and Ermit, and knew what they were seeking. He helped the group reach the Lost City of Arkus, provided that the Skylander pass a series of trials for Octavius for his research about the choices people make in the challenges.
When the Skylander passed his trials, Octavius gave them the coordinates of a shortcut to the Lost City of Arkus, as well as an Autogyro, as his magical way of saying thanks. He then offered the Skylander to return to his lair at any time, with his many doors always open for them.
Octavius isn't a normal being. In fact, he's not from Skylands, or from anywhere, necessarily. To meet with The Oracle himself, players have to believe in him. But most people don't; although they have heard about an Oracle, they never see him since they don't believe in him. The Molekin, however, can't see anything, so to them, it's quite normal to believe in things they can't see. So by believing in the Oracle, they were the first to meet him. The Molekin have had a special relationship with the Oracle ever since.
- Octavius bears a slight resemblance to Marvel comics' Shuma Gorath.
- He also bears similarity to the character Flex from the Xbox 360 game, Kameo: Elements of Power.
- His trials may seem to vary and change each time the level is played, however, they do follow a set pattern. They change depending on which doors are chosen.
- When first met, depending on which Skylander is used, he says his/her specific name.
- An oracle is a person who is considered to be a source of wise counsel or prophetic opinions.
- Despite the fact he is not an enemy, Sprocket's turrets will fire at him if assembled near him. This is because nobody knows what Octavius really is despite being an ally, but his intentions are never evil. Sprocket however, is not one to take chances. When she designed her turrets, she designed them so that if they could not detect a foreign entity's evilness or goodness, the turrets defaults to evilness, just in case. While this could end with some unfortunate accidents, Sprocket takes her job as Tech defender of the Skylands seriously.
- A hat in Skylanders: Trap Team is based on Octavius.
- Octavius is a Latin praenomen, or personal name, used in Ancient Rome. It derives from the word octavus, meaning eighth, and may have been given to the character as a reference to his eight tentacles.
- His voice has a reverb that matches his level's main theme. However, when speaking to his holograms, the reverb only matches his voice.
- Skylanders: Giants Strategy Guide: Burning Questions!, page 203
- Skylanders: Giants Official Strategy Guide Q&A, page 197