- “Hey! I'm On Fire!”
- —Hot Head's official catchphrase
Hot Head was designed around one simple mechanic: cover enemies in oil and light them on fire. In later Skylanders games, the team would get feedback from the German localization team that this was not ok but during Skylanders: Giants, the development was so rushed through that this one slipped through. Nat Loh had originally asked for one fire hand and one oil hand but the two was determined to look better with two fire grill hands so the team just made it work. Hot Head's Sizzle Shower ability was visually inspired by Jiraiya's Fire Rasengan ultimate jutsu as seen in Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm.
Nat Loh added details to the Eternal Flame upgrade that puts a dragon on Hot Head's fire hand while the Hot Oil Treatment upgrade puts a squid on his oil hand. "Hot with a Chance of Meteors" is a callout to Dragon Ball's Spirit Bomb and his Hot Rod soul gem transformation is a shout out to Robotech's Cyclone motorcycle.
Impetuous is a good word to describe Hot Head. He just can't help himself. This Fire Giant is always burning with enthusiasm. He smothers his enemies in blazing blobs of burning oil first, and asks questions second.
Hot Head had always been a short tempered fire giant. But it was when magical oil was discovered in Skylands that fuel was really added to the fire. As exciting as the discovery was, the celebration lasted only 5 minutes - coming to an abrupt halt when Hot Head needed to cool off and plunged into the thick black pool, causing the entire island to explode! Though it would be another 2,000 years before magical oil was discovered again, the impact that it had on Hot Head was immediate. He was instantly infused with magical oil, giving him the ability to generate an infinite supply of fuel - making him incredibly volatile, highly combustible, and ready to torch anything that got in his way.
There's something about being on fire that can be sometimes make people irritable. This Giant, Hot Head, is no exception. A vast, towering Fire golem, the only thing short about Hot Head is his temper. Usually angry and often reckless, Hot Head once leapt into a pool of magical oil, the very first pool of magical oil ever to be discovered in Skylands. Hot Head hoped it would help him cool down. It didn't. The BOOM was heard all across Skylands, as the entire island Hot Head was on exploded in a spectacular fireball. Although most of the magical oil was instantly vaporized, some of it fused with Hot Head, granting him a limitless fuel supply and the ability to torch anything, or anyone, that might get in his way.
Directing his burning anger towards the Arkeyans, Hot Head was a valuable addition to the original Skylanders, while also helping cut down on their heating bills.
Hot Head can fire both flames and blobs of oil from his hands. He can also summon rain-like drops of fire from the sky. He can even transform into a hot rod. In Time Twisters it was shown that Hot Head is very durable, as he was shot by Tech Geargolems, the projectiles deflected off his body, and merley tickled Hot Head.
In Skylanders: Battlecast, he has the ability to summon a Mood Ring Gear that increases his damage the more he is attacked, and, as well as having high health to shrug off attacks, many of his spells have conditions for him being attacked in the enemy turn. Hot Head's Special Ability is Boiling Over, which increases his power and is more effective if he was attacked in that turn. His scrapped signature relic is the Fury's Forge, which increases his allies' power by damaging them slightly.
- Health: 430 (max. 860)
- Speed: 20 (max. 68)
- Armor: 12 (max. 42)
- Critical Hit: 80 (max. 130)
- Elemental Power: ?? (max. 50)
Warning: These stats are not used in any of the Skylander games. They are only listed for completeness reasons.
- Strength: 150
- Defense: 120
- Agility: 60
- Luck: 80
| Basic Abilities|
These abilities are available from the start of the game.
|Flamefire Burst||Oil Blobs||
Press Attack 1 to shoot a burst of fire. Hold Attack 1 to keep flames going.
Press Attack 2 to shoot a blob of oil that can lit on fire for serious damage.
|Premium Grade||Sizzle Shower||Turn Up The Heat!||Extended Forecast|
Oil Blobs and ignited Oil Blobs do increased damage.
Press Attack 3 to summon a rain of fire from the sky.
Flamefire burst gets even hotter and does increased damage.
Sizzle Shower lasts longer and does increased damage.
|Eternal Flame||Hot Oil Treatment||Fossil Fuel|
Can use Flamefire continuously and does maximum damage.
Oil Blobs and ingited Oil Blobs do maximum damage.
Oil Blobs turn into fossilized monsters who attack enemies.
|Fire Storm||Oil And Fire||Hot With A Chance of Meteors|
Sizzle Shower does maximum damage and covers a larger area.
During a Sizzle Shower, press Attack 2 to create an oily explosion, catching enemies on fire.
Hold Attack 3 to summon a gigantic meteor from the sky.
|Mad Energy||Mood Ring - Gear||Melt Down|
|Temperature Tantrum||Feel My Pain||Boiling Over - Special Ability|
|Fury's Forge - Relic|
Rare (Currently Unobtainable)
Skylanders can use abilities depending on their level.
- Oil Blob / Flame Torch (Primary Attack): Tap (Y) to fire an Oil Blob. Hold (Y) to fire flame torch.
- Fire Rain (Secondary Attack): Hold (X) to activate Fire Rain.
- Oil Explode (requires level: 3): Oil Blobs will explode if they are on fire when they expire.
- Fire Rain Upgrade (requires level: 6): Size and damage amount of Fire Rain is increased.
- Infinite Flame Torch (requires level: 9): No limit on the use of the Flame Torch.
- Monster Masher: Defeat 1000 enemies.
- Chow Hound: Eat 50 pieces of food.
- Arena Artist: Complete an arena without taking any damage.
- Battle Champ: Win 10 PvP matches.
- Heroic Challenger: Complete a heroic challenge without taking any damage.
- Elementalist: Cause 7500 elemental bonus damage.
- Bombardier: Defeat 25 enemies with bombs.
- Steamer: Defeat an evil Water Minion.
- Buggy Breakthrough: Destroy 20 walls in Hot Rod mode.
- Bad Guy Basher: Defeat 1000 enemies.
- Fruit Frontiersman: Eat 15 fruit.
- Flawless Challenger: Complete a non-Story Mode level at full health.
- True Gladiator: Win 10 PVP matches.
- Totally Maxed Out: Reach level 20 and purchase all Upgrades for this Skylander.
- Elementalist: Deal 7500 elemental bonus damage.
- Mega Melter: Defeat a total of 25 Ice Geargolems.
- Bombardier: Defeat 30 enemies with bombs.
- Buggy Breakthrough: Travel 5000 feet in Hot Rod mode.
- "Hey! I'm On Fire!
- "I'm just getting warmed up!"
- "You got burned!"
- "You just got flame broiled!"
- "I like the bad guys well done!"
- "Oho, burn!"
- "Do something hot!"
- "Fuel the fire!"
- "It's grillin' time!"
- "Maximum firepower!"
- "Hail to the chef!"
- "Oh! Feel the burn!"
- "Molten mania!"
- "You just got flame boiled!"
- "Fire in the hole!"
- "Can't be contained!"
- "That's some firepower!"
- "My fire never expires!"
- "Heat blast!"
- "Comet crush!"
- "Heatin' up!"
- "Heat rises!"
- "High heat!"
- "Oh yeah!"
- "I'm on a hot streak!" - when checking stats
- "Hot as ever." - when checking stats
- "My head just got hotter!"- when given on a hat
- "All right, I'm stoked!" - when given a hat
- "I'm stoked!" - when given a nickname
- "I'm kinda lukewarm on that but...okay." - when given a nickname
- "On fire!" - scanned in
- "Hot as ever!"
- "Hot Head is ready!" - when selected
- "Ready to burn!"
- "Here comes the heat!" - Battle Introduction
- "Hey, I'm on fire!"
- "Turn up the heat!" - swapping in
- "Ready to fight!"
- "Need to cool off!" - swapping out
- "Time to chill!"
- "Burning bright!" - rank up
- "On a hot streak!"
- "Totally stoked!" - Summoning a Gear
- "That's scorchin'!"
- "Friendly fire!" - Summoning a Relic
- "Turning up the heat!"
- "Fire in the hole!" - randomly when playing spells
- "Feel the burn!" - Melt Down
- "It's getting hot!"
- "Let's burn it up!" - Mad Energy
- "Raging fire!"
- "You're mine!" - Temperature Tantrum
- "Now you're playing with fire!"
- "Out of control!" - Mood Ring
- "Can't tame the flame!"
- "Boiled over!" - Feel My Pain
- "Full blast!"
- "You got burned!" - KOed an enemy
- "Piling it on!"
- "Too hot to handle!"
- "So that's what hot is...!" - when defeated
- "My fire is out...For now!"
- "Flamed out big time..." - defeat at the end of battle
- "Not cool at all..."
- "Feel the heat!" - Victory
- "A scorching victory!"
- "Don't. Play with fire." - when idling/poked
- "My blood's starting to boil."
- "I'm Hot Head!"
- "Fire away!"
- "I'm losing patience."
- "Untamed flame!" - Card Level Up
- "My flames are growing!"
- He is currently the only playable golem who is not of the Earth element.
- One of his upgrades, "Hot with a Chance of Meteors", is a joke on "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs".
- Hot Head has the Fire Symbol on his back.
- He and Hot Dog are the only Fire Skylanders (at the same time) with the word Hot in their names.
- In page 100 of the Time Twisters Story Activity Book, it is said that he is 199,999 years old.
- Hot Head has an easter egg where if you hold his "Eternal Flame" attack long enough in Skylanders: Trap Team, he'll start monologuing. This was originally for Skylanders: Giants in the form of a modified monologue referencing a very obscure part of Ninja Turtle history, but it was removed by the game's audio director at the 11th hour but Nat Loh put it back in for Trap Team. Imaginators would go on to use a new engine/tool so Trap Team is the only game players can find this easter egg in.
- It is rumored that his original catchphrase was, "Aaaargh, help! Someone find a hose, quick!"
- He slightly resembles Fire Man from the Mega Man series of video games in the way that he has flames coming from his hands and his head. He also is like Oil Man from the PSP game Mega Man Powered Up in the way that he is able to use oil as a weapon.
- There is a glitch where when in hot rod form, when attacked, Hot Head will revert to his natural state whilst still acting as if in hot rod form by still having a wheel above and below him and moving around at a greater speed.
- Hot Head is often mentioned as a cook.
- Hot Head is the only Skylander who has a varied intro. He says his catchphrase in different pitches. No other Skylander does this, though some returning SuperChargers Skylanders have different a pitch in that specific form.
- In the game, Hot Head is voiced by Patrick Seitz who voices Rip Tide and Chomp Chest, as well as Scorpion in the 2011 Mortal Kombat, Zomom in Sonic Lost World and Ragna the Bloodedge in the BlazBlue series.
- His Sizzle Shower may be based on Adele's 'Set Fire to the Rain'.
- One of Hot Head's upgrade paths is called "The Burninator", referencing the fictional dragon Trogdor from the Homestar Runner webseries.
- As seen in the Face Your Fears card in Battlecast, Hot Head is afraid of freezing over.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Skylanders Giants - Nat Loh
- ↑ Skylanders Universe: The Complete Collection, page 60
- ↑ Skylanders: Universe - Official Sticker Book, page 26
- ↑ Skylanders Spyro's Adventure DEVELOPER COMMENTARY - Episode 8: Senior Character Designer, Nat Loh, 34:12
- ↑ Skylanders Universe: Book of Elements - Fire and Water, page 14