- “No Chain, No Gain!”
- —Ghost Roaster's official catchphrase
Ghost Roaster, formerly known as Olav, is a skeletal ghoul Skylander in Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure. He is only available for purchase in the Darklight Crypt Adventure Pack. He is of the Undead element.
Ghost Roaster is very curved and skeletal in appearance prior to falling into the Valley of the Undead. His head is skull-like with seeming razor sharp teeth, yellow eyes with orange pupils, and four pointy spikes atop of it. The bones that make up his arm and elbow are completely exposed with four fingers on each hand. He wears a black and almost worn out suit with a red neck collar that exposes the outline of his ribs. In place of legs is his tail which connects to his spiked ball and chain.
Ghost Roaster is known for his relentless, undying appetite for ghosts (particularly evil ghosts). However, being a chef, he is good in the kitchen for making delicious recipes. Despite his scary behavior, he seems unfazed by pranks such as Camo's.
In Secret Agent Secrets, Ghost Roaster's flaw is revealed to be a desire to have his work recognized, even if by the side of the villains. Years being put aside in favor of newcomer Skylanders made him bitter towards them, until Stormblade expressed respect for what he did regardless of his threats.
There was a time when Ghost Roaster was neither a ghost nor a roaster. Instead he was a chef living in a village high in the mountains. One day, while clipping wool from a sheep to use in a recipe, he accidentally fell into the Valley of the Undead and transformed into a ghost eating ghoul! After eating an entire spectral village, its Ethereal Ruler chained Ghost Roaster to a spiked ball as punishment -- its rattle heard as he wanders the night, warning nearby spirits. When Master Eon eventually heard of his predicament, he figured even a ghost eater could be useful. So he made Ghost Roaster a Skylander... after he promised to eat only evil ghosts.
Ghost Roaster absolutely loved food. From spectre soup to phantasm fries, he regarded any undead recipe with relish (and sometimes tops them with relish too). But Ghost Roaster wasn't always a gobbling soul; he was once a simple chef called Olav. Olav lived in a mountain-top village and was said to serve the best sheep-wool stew in all of Skylands (not that anyone had ever tried it anywhere else there). One day, when Olav was wandering the hills searching for sheep (or, more specifically, their wool), he slipped down the mountain side. Luckily he bounced on his behind and made a soft landing in the valley below. Unluckily his bottom was badly bruised. More unluckily still, he had entered the Valley of the Undead, and his days as a friendly foodie were over.
A famished Olav, or 'Ghost Roaster' as he decided to call himself, went in immediate search for a bite to eat. Luckily, a nearby ghost town was spilling over with puffy white spooks - which Ghostie promptly treated as a paranormal all-you-can-eat buffet. Understandably, the town's etheral ruler was a little irritated to find its inhabitants completely devoured. So, as punishment, he chained Ghost Roaster to a rattling spiked ball to warn any wandering spirits. Taking pity on the skeletal ghoul, Master Eon made Ghost Roaster a Skylander - but only after he swore not to turn Hex into a hamburger.
Secret Agent Secrets
Ghost Roaster, Voodood, and Boomer were Buzz's elite team of Skylanders when they mysteriously disappeared while on a mission at Motleyville and haven't returned for months. SuperChargers, Spitfire, Stormblade and Nightfall, were assigned to find the lost Skylanders at their last known location. Upon getting ambushed by Spell Punks lead by Spellslamzer, the SuperChargers were suddenly defeated and knocked unconscious by Ghost Roaster, Voodood, and Boomer, who were now working for Spellslamzer.With the three SuperChargers detained, Spellslamzer announced his plan to raid the Mabu Radiance mines of its rare and powerful minerals, therefore controlling the crystal supply to become the supreme power in all of Skylands. As Stormblade wondered why Voodood, Ghost Roaster, and Boomer would turn their backs on Skylands and Master Eon, Ghost Roaster revealed that he and the other two Elites grew tired of being tossed aside and forgotten while the Skylanders such as the SuperChargers, SWAP Force and the Giants are more appreciated. The ghost Skylander would later stop Spitfire, Stormblade and Nightfall when they attempted to escape and Spellslamzer had the three SuperChargers strapped helplessly to the front of their own vehicles as the evil Spell Punk and his army ride out towards the Mabu mines.
During their attack on the Radiance Mines, Voodood and Boomer turned against Spellslamzer, revealing that all three Elites were pretending to be evil from the start. However Ghost Roaster held onto the belief that he and the Elites would simply be tossed aside and forgotten even if they turn in Spellslamzer; the ghoul remained on Spellslamzer's side, eventually engaging his former friends in battle. He fought against Stormblade and got his ball and chain stuck to the ground during the struggle. Ghost Roaster demanded Stormblade to take him down like any other bad guy, but she refused, reminding Ghost Roaster that he was a hero and someone who takes a special kind of courage to risk so much for no reward.
Moved by Stormblade's words, Ghost Roaster threw his ball and chain at the Radiance crystals under Spellslamzer, blowing them up and knocking Spellslamzer unconscious. The ghoul Skylander returned to the side of good, complimenting Stormblade's heroism and receiving forgiveness for his actions from his fellow Skylanders.
Being a ghoul, Ghost Roaster can turn intangible to avoid enemy attacks, at the cost of his health, before returning to physical form to attack his opponents. He can also turn into a large flaming and speeding skull, and strikes his enemies using his spiked ball tail.
- Health: 280 (max. 560)
- Speed: 43 (max. 91)
- Armor: 24 (max. 54)
- Critical Hit: 20 (max. 70)
- Elemental Power: 25 (max. 75)
Warning: These stats are not used in any of the Skylander games. They are only listed for completeness reasons.
- Strength: 60
- Defense: 85
- Agility: 40
- Luck: 40
| Basic Abilities|
These abilities are available from the start of the game.
|Chain Whip||Skull Charge||
Swing your chain tail at enemies.
Transform into a ghostly head that barrels through enemies.
|Pain Chain||Metalhead||Ectoplasm Mode||Haunt|
Chain Whip attacks do increased damage.
The Skull Charge attacks last longer.
Enter Ectoplasm Mode and be immune to all attacks, but lose health over time.
Defeating an enemy with the Chain Whip turns them into a ghost that attacks other enemies.
|Phase Shift Burst||Ecto-Friendly||Nightmare Touch|
All nearby enemies take damage when you enter Ectoplasm Mode.
While in Ectoplasm Mode, you move faster and lose less health over time.
Touching a ghost while in Ectoplasm Mode creates a powerful explosion.
|Fright Bite||Unfinished Business||Life Transfer|
Skull Charge does increased damage.
Defeating an enemy with Skull Charge creates a ghost.
Devouring a ghost while doing a Skull Charge heals you.
Skylanders can use abilities depending on their level.
- Tail Flail (Primary Attack): Press (Y) repeatedly to whip enemies with Ghost Roaster's ball and chain.
- Ghostly Gathering (Secondary Attack): Press (X) to summon two ghosts. Press (X) again to send a ghost at the nearest enemy. The enemy will be haunted and take damage for a few seconds.
- Skull Sprint (requires level: 2): Press (X) to summon ghosts, then Sprint (A) to consume a ghost and turn Ghost Roaster into a giant skull. When in skull form, Ghost Roaster will damage nearby enemies.
- Flailspin (requires level: 5): Press (Y), (Y), then hold (Y) to keep spinning Ghost Roaster's ball and chain. Use the Circle Pad to move Ghost Roaster during a Flailspin and reach more enemies.
- Scary Stun (requires level: 8): Press (X) for Ghost Roaster's Ghostly Gathering. Nearby enemies will be stunned when he summons ghosts.
Mystic Seeker Scroll
- "No Chain, No Gain!"
- "Bad to the bone!"
- "Spooky good!"
- "Didn't see me coming did ya?!"
- "Gonna slip right through!"
- "Fun fun fun!"
- "It's scary how good I am!"
- "Easy as ghost pie!"
- "It's beautiful in the underworld this time of year!"
- "Good enough to eat!" - When opening a treasure chest
- "Stopping by my old haunts!" - When entering an Undead elemental area
- "The ghost with the most!" - When checking stats
- "Shall we engrave these numbers?"
- "Oh! Good look for me!" - When given a hat
- "Ooh! I'll look great in this!"
- "Ooh, scary!" - When given a nickname
- "Think I can get used to this."
- Ghost Roaster's catchphrase 'No Chain, No Gain' is a joke on the saying 'No Pain, No Gain'.
- He is the first Skylander that has an upgrade that damages the user. Therefore, he is also the first who can get knocked out in the hub worlds of the Skylanders series.
- Since Trap Team, he and High Five can literally drain their own health until they are defeated.
- Like Pac Man, Ghost Roaster eats ghosts.
- Ghost Roaster is voiced by John Kassir, best known as the voice of the Cryptkeeper in Tales from the Crypt. Both characters also have undead traits. He also provides the vocal effects for Elliott in the 2016 adaptation of Pete's Dragon.
- His name may have been a reference to Marvel's Ghost Rider.
- It may also be a refrence to the Ghostbusters franchise.
- Ghost Roaster was originally called Ghost Eater.
- There is a glitch in Swap Force where if you jump while in Ectoplasm Mode, Ghost Roaster's chain becomes transparent until he enters Ectoplasm Mode again.
- He, Bash, and Bop both have spikeballs attached to them.
- There is a glitch in Giants where you cannot complete his quest Grave Circumstances after getting the Fright Bite upgrade.
- One time Ghost Roaster was about to unknowingly crack open one of Sonic Boom's eggs into a mixing bowl to whip up a batch of pancakes. Needless to say Sonic Boom wasn't happy, and poor Ghost Roaster didn't know what hit him!
- He and Smash Hit have spiked balls at the end of their chains.