- “Whip Up A Storm!”
- —Free Ranger's official catchphrase
A real whirlwind, Free Ranger is sometimes too impetuous for his own good. He has a love for bad weather, such as tornadoes, hurricanes and thunderstorms, and would often throw himself into them. He is most likely to talk about the weather; and least likely to stay indoors because it's raining. He is uncomfortable in confined spaces.
Free Ranger was hatched during a storm when a thunderous bolt of lightning struck his egg. From that very moment, his destiny was clear – he would become the greatest storm chaser ever known! He spent his entire life pursuing hurricanes, spinning inside tornados, and riding lightning. But a day came when he encountered a storm unlike any other. It was unnatural and ominous, billowing with evil, and leaving only desolation in its wake. Free Ranger was standing at its edge, moments from boldly leaping into it, when he was stopped by none other than Master Eon. The wise Portal Master told him that it was The Darkness that raged before them, and if he were up to the challenge, he could join the Skylanders to help defend against it in the Cloudbreak Islands.
- Health: 280 (max. 560)
- Speed: 43 (max. 91)
- Armor: 18 (max. 48)
- Critical Hit: 8 (max. 58)
- Elemental Power: 25 (max. 75)
Warning: These stats are not used in any of the Skylander games. They are only listed for completeness reasons.
- Strength: 115
- Defense: 150
- Agility: 105
- Luck: 90
|Stormblade Slash||Eyes of the Storm||Charged Blades||Gale Slash|
Press Attack 1 to slash at enemies with powerful Stormblades.
Press Attack 3 to shoot a bolt of lightning from the eyes, stunning the first enemy and chaining to others.
Press Attack 1 to slash with more powerful Stormblades that do increased damage.
Press Attack 1 three times to send a wave of powerful air at enemies.
Lightning Strikes Thrice
Charged Gigawatt Bolt
Press Attack 1 to attack with more powerful Stormblades that deal extra lightning damage.
|Ride the Wind||Approaching Storm||Wind Powered||Tornado Vacuum Boost|
Hold Attack 2 to become a tornado and damage nearby enemies.
Hold Attack 2 to become a tornado, speed is increased while the tornado is active.
Becoming a tornado will last longer.
Tornadoes now pull in enemies from further away.
Hold Attack 2 to become a tornado filled with lightning, dealing damage to all enemies in the way.
Skylanders can use abilities depending on their level.
- Storm Blade Combo (Primary Attack): Rapidly tap (Y) to perform a combo chain.
- Eyes of the Storm (Secondary Attack): Press (X) to launch a blast of lightning.
- Spin (SWAP Force Power): Press (L) to create a vortex that pulls in coins, pulls in and damages nearby targets, reflects projectiles, and causes the Skylander to hover.
- Unknown (requires level: 3): Add description here.
- Unknown (requires level: 6): Add description here.
- Unknown (requires level: 9): Add description here.
- Bad Guy Basher: Defeat 1000 enemies.
- Fruit Frontiersman: Eat 15 fruit.
- Flawless Challenger: Complete a non-Story Mode level at full health.
- True Gladiator: Win 10 PVP matches.
- Totally Maxed Out: Reach level 20 and purchase all Upgrades for this Skylander.
- Elementalist: Deal 7500 elemental bonus damage.
- Geronimo!: Travel over 250 feet in one fall.
- Skylooter: Collect 500 gold while in midair.
- Ruffled Feathers: Hit enemies 25 times without stopping your melee attacks.
- Whip up a Storm!"
- "Taking the world by storm!"
- "I strike again!"
- "That was a breeze!"
- "For my nest-egg!"
- "Served...sunny side up!"
- "I'm the best of the nest!"
- "Not just chicken feed!"
- "Fly Away!"
- "Fully charged!" - levelling up
- "Power strike!" - levelling up
- "Looks like chicken scratch to me!" - stats
- Free Ranger's name is a play on free range, a farming method for chickens.
- He shares the same few battle quotes as Sonic Boom.
- Free Ranger's lower half is capable of stopping enemies from spinning and using swirling shields as their means of defense by using his tornado ability.
- His blades resemble Adam Frankenstein's blades from I, Frankenstein and the bat'leth from Star Trek.
- Incidentally, they also resemble Stealth Elf's blades, even Hodge's blades from the Mortal Instruments: City of Bones.
- His blades also resemble Plasma Rifles from the Halo series.
- His stormblades are similar to chakrams.
- Oddly, his belt buckle is gold on his artwork and toy, but is blue in-game.
- Free Ranger is voiced by Joey Camen, who is also the voice actor of Terrafin and Boomer.
- He is the second Air Skylander to come with a starter pack; the first was Jet-Vac for Skylanders: Giants, and the third was Gusto for Skylanders: Trap Team.
- He's also the first to do so both for Nintendo 3DS and as a non-core Skylander.
- In early packaging, his catchphrase was mistakenly Hoot Loop's catchphrase.
- He and Magna Charge are the only SWAP Force Skylanders whose secondary attacks are capable of causing enemies to drop defenses. Other SWAP Force Skylanders with their bottom halves are able to do the same thing.
- In the Wii version of SWAP Force, he doesn't say his catchphrase until after he stops spinning.