The Elements are what the world of Skylands, and the Core of Light, is built up off of. There are ten main elements: Air, Earth, Dark, Fire, Life, Light, Magic, Tech, Undead, and Water. Each Skylander, Trap, playable Villain and Vehicle is associated with one of these elements, and it affects what they can do in the games. There are currently eleven known elements that exist in Skylands, but there is a possibility of more that lie undiscovered. The lack of a significant elemental energy is known as Non-Elemental.
In most games, Skylanders can open their Elemental Gates and gain extra power in areas of their element. In Battle Arenas, some elements have advantages or disadvantages over others: Air is stronger against Earth, Earth is stronger against Tech, Tech is stronger against Magic, Magic is stronger against Undead, Undead is stronger against Life, Life is stronger against Water, Water is stronger against Fire, Fire is stronger than Air, and the cycle starts over again.
In the webgame, the special abilities Skylanders have in minigames varied depending on their element, such as continuous fire for Tech Skylanders in Sky Defense. Unlocking Skylanders of a certain element also unlocked various themes and decorations for the player's Skyland. Plants were also tied to each Skylander and their element and provided energy for abilities in minigames. In Skylanders: SuperChargers, the player can unlock Portal Master Powers with a variety of effects for each element and elemental zones.
- In Giants, if a Skylander is in an element zone or at an elemental gate which matches their elements, they give off a bit of a cheer. If that zone or gate doesn't match their elements, they will sometimes get irritated.
- Many enemies and other creatures are also elementally-aligned, with Spell Punks, Villains and the Undead as the most notorious examples.
- Some enemies also have their Skystones assigned elements as well, though not all correspond to them with their appearance or attacks.
- The four classical elements each interact with each other in advantages/disadvantages.
- Light, Dark and Kaos are currently the only elements to have no known advantages or disadvantages in battle. This is due to the fact that there is no Battle Mode in Trap Team, SuperChargers and Imaginators.
- In SuperChargers Racing, instead of elements, a symbol resembling Pandergast's hat is used for the magic moment of the two vehicles he lends out, the Clunker and the Blunder Bucket.
- Similarly, the Villain symbol resembling Kaos' head from Trap Team is used in the magic moment of the 13 playable Villains, despite most of them being associated with an element.
- A Banana element and a Koopa element were originally considered to be exclusive elements for Turbo Charge Donkey Kong and Hammer Slam Bowser.
- Hood Sickle, Grave Clobber, and Tae Kwon Crow are the first three characters to change their elements permanently. As seen with Tae Kwon Crow turning away from his Dark path to learn Fire moves, creatures can change them willingly.
- Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure - Master Eon's Official Guide, page 17
- Skylanders: Ring of Heroes Pre-registration page
- Skylanders SuperChargers Amiibo: A Brief History and Other Nintendo Characters Considered