- “Sometimes, shadows are the best places to hide the greatest strengths.”
- —Ring of Heroes Relationship Description
Dark is one of the two new elements that debuted in Skylanders: Trap Team. This element is associated with the colors of indigo, dark purple, and teal, the latter also frequently given metal texturing or effects.
The Light and Dark were elements that were even unknown to Master Eon himself. However both were cut off from Skylands when the Core of Light was destroyed, leaving the Skylanders of the Light and Dark elements stranded in their respective realms. They would later return to Skylands when the immense explosion that destroyed Cloudcracker Prison broke open the very foundation of Skylands, officially revealing the presence of the two new elements.
Dark is perhaps the most sinister and dangerous element of all. As the name suggests, Skylanders aligned with this element are powered by the Darkness itself. Luckily, the heroes have been able to resist the Darkness' temptations and use their power for good. Dark Skylanders, such as Blackout, know of their sinister origins, but show bravery, compassion and honor nonetheless.
Dark Skylanders use the power of the darkness and its mysteries to overpower their foes, and like their Light counterparts use powers relating to celestial bodies such as black holes. In toy form, they stand on pedestals of black smoke. In Skylanders: Ring of Heroes, Dark is strong against Light, but weak to no element.
In Skylanders: Trap Team's turret challenges, Dark Skylanders have the ability Black Hole, which immediately destroys most enemies on the screen. In Kaos Doom Challenge, they can summon a dark orb atop a small elaborate pillar, which itself summons smaller orbs that home in on enemies.
In Skylanders: SuperChargers, Dark-aligned Portal Master Powers include a life-draining shadow aura and a damaging curse. Those are distributed in several conditions, and the names are as follows:
- Shadowy Shell
- Shadowy Entrance
- Cursed Strike
- Curse of Darkness
- Shadowy Desperation
Dark Imaginators can choose from four different abilities as their secondary attack:
|Dark Elemental Imaginator Powers|
The first two of these powers are unlocked at the start of the game, the other two are unlocked by leveling up your Imaginator.
Mastered Black Hole
Mastered Dark Mist
Smoke and Shadows
Mastered Smoke and Shadows
Pools of Darkness
Mastered Pools of Darkness
Press Attack 2 to turn into a dark mist. Hold Attack 2 to stay transformed longer.
Press Attack 2 to enhance your attacks with smoke and shadows giving you a damage increase.
The default color schemes for Dark Imaginators are known as Lunar Eclipse, Twilight Haze, Night Shadows, Clandestine Shade, Glum Murk, Azure Twilight and Blind Obsidian. Parts unlocked by dark Creation Crystals are from the Demon Set, including menacing horns, Thunder Tow's head, shiny red arms,a tattered cape and a horned headpiece.
Dark Elemental Characters
| Hood Sickle
|Tae Kwon Crow|
Dark Elemental Items
| Dark Traps
|Dark Creation Crystals|
| Sea Shadow
- Despite their "Dark" title, the Dark Edition Skylanders and most of the Dark Edition Vehicles are not included in this element, as they are already associated with other Elements.
- The only exception is Sea Shadow, which is the only Dark elemental entity to also have a Dark Edition counterpart.
- In Skylanders: Ring of Heroes, Dark Spyro (who was a Magic Skylander), Dark King Pen (who was a Water Skylander) and Dark Spitfire (who was a Fire Skylander) have switched to the Dark element under the names of Shadow Spyro, Shadow King Pen and Shadow Spitfire.
- This is currently the only element without any Legendary counterparts.
- Light and Dark have the lowest number of Skylanders in the entire series, excluding the Kaos Element.
- In SuperChargers, with the addition of Nightfall, this was the only element to have more female than male Skylanders.
- However, in Imaginators, two male Skylanders were added, making the majority male, like in all other elements.
- In the main console games, all the Dark Skylanders have blank eyes with no irises or pupils. Most of them are white, with the exception of Hood Sickle.
- This, Fire and Water are currently the only elements to gain a villain from another element.