- “No Rest for the Wicked!”
- —Bat Spin's official catchphrase
Bat Spin is one of those Skylanders that Nat Loh designed up front and have the concept art team create a character befitting her powers. He knew he waned a female vampire-type of character and he was really intrigued with the idea of a hero who could use their projectiles after they were fired. Bat Spin's bats would make her other abilities more effective, making this one of Nat's favorite works. Bat Spin's upgrade path would turn out to be so insane (she gained three bat buddies each with a unique ability that made her into an unstoppable force) that Nat used it as a new bar to aspire towards for Skylander upgrades. However this gave him a problem: Skylander upgrade paths should be equally appealing and no one path is the better path so how would Nat make a second path just as compelling as the first? The answer was more bats, and the second upgrade path Nat made topped the first.
Bat Spin was named by Kimberly Josey from Charlotte, North Carolina, as part of a naming contest held by Frito-Lay.
Bat Spin was born in the underworld, which makes her witchy in a good way. She's also pretty cool under pressure and isn't known to fly off the handle. Her mannerisms in idle and win animations imply she might be still young, and strangely she sounds hesitant when given a hat or nickname.
Bat Spin hailed from the underworld, where as a child she was separated from her people. After spending months searching for them, she eventually was welcomed by a colony of magical bats who raised her as one of their own. After many peaceful years living with the bats, the colony was invaded by an army of undead trolls, who were set on stealing their magic to build an ultimate sonar weapon. Bat Spin quickly took action and used powerful abilities that she had learned growing up with the bats and essentially becoming one of them. She heroically defeated the trolls and saved the colony. This caught the attention of Master Eon, who saw at once she would make a worthy Skylander!
- Health: 240 (max. 480)
- Speed: 85 (max. 133)
- Armor: 12 (max. 42)
- Critical Hit: 50 (max. 100)
- Elemental Power: 46 (max. 96)
Warning: These stats are not used in any of the Skylander games. They are only listed for completeness reasons.
- Strength: 200
- Defense: 60
- Agility: 80
- Luck: 40
These abilities are available from the start of the game.
|Bat Attack||Bat Swarm||
Great Balls of Bats!
Press Attack 1 to shoot bitey pet bats at enemies.
Press Attack 2 to summon a maelstrom of bat damage.
|Healing Bite||Brawny Bats||Go Batty!||A Colony of Bats|
Collect pet bats after they have bitten enemies to regain HP.
Pet bats last longer, do more damage and are more aggressive.
Press Attack 3 to transform into a Giant Bat! In Bat Form, press Attack 1 to bite and Attack 2 to screech.
Increase the maximum number of pet bats.
|Mr. Dizzy||Mr. Blocky||Mr. Bitey|
A new pet bat, Mr. Dizzy, stubs and confuses enemies.
A new pet back, Mr. Blocky, protects you by deflecting projectiles.
A new pet bat, Mr. Bitey, does extra biting damage.
|Bat-tle Cry||Ultimate Bat Squad||Chiropteran Call|
In Bat Form, the screech attack does extra damage and powers up bats.
More pet bats fly with you and have additional powers.
In Bat Form, the bite attack shoots out three additional pet bats.
Skylanders can use abilities depending on their level.
- Bat Friends (Primary Attack): Press Y to summon up to 3 bats that will attack nearby enemies.
- Monster Bat (Secondary Attack): Press X to transform into Monster Bat. You will be able to lunge foward by pressing Y. Press X to revert to normal while doing a screech that will damage anyone around.
- Bat Cyclone (requires level: 3): Hold X to summon up to 3 bats that will spin around the character and damage enemies if they come in contact.
- Ball of Bats (requires level: 6): Hold Y to charge up a ball of energy that will fire towards enemies when the input is released.
- Bat Squad (requires level: 9): In Monster Bat form, press Y to summon 3 bats. Press Y again to fire them foward and explode while doing Area of Damage.
- "No Rest for the Wicked!"
- "Let the bat-tle begin!"
- "Spin for the win!"
- "The fright with bite!"
- "The bigger, the bat-ter!"
- "Beware the bat!"
- "Fright and fright!"
- "Bat spin!"
- "Didn't even bat an eye!"
- "So good its scary!"
- "Let's go for a spin!"
- "Take off!"
- "Batter up!"
- "Just winging it!"
- "Up and away!" - when using a bounce pad
- "Mere mortals, ha ha!"
- "A big bite of treasure!" - when opening a treasure chest
- "Moving Beyond!" - when unlocking next area
- "Fright on!" - when leveled up
- "Eternal strength!"
- "I'm batting a thousand!" - when viewing stats
- "Flying up the charts!"
- "If only I could see myself in the mirror..." - when wearing a hat
- "I look absolutely frightful! I love it!"
- "I'm eternally grateful for this name." - when given a nickname
- "I get chills hearing this name, really!"
- When first revealed for the Frito Lay contest, Bat Spin's image url revealed that her original name was Frightengale.
- Unusually, her files in SuperChargers show a different name, Fright Bite, being the only old character to have only her placeholder name in the files.
- Her catchphrase originated from one of Cynder's battle cries.
- She is the third vampire Skylander (the others being Night Shift and Roller Brawl).
- Like Night Shift, she speaks with a Transylvanian accent.
- She shares some similarities to Venger from the 1980s Dungeons & Dragons TV series. Both have red clothing and bat-like features.
- Her name might be a pun on "backspin".
- Bat Spin is voiced by Eliza Schneider, who also voices Mags and Vampress Imaginators. Coincidentally, they are all Undead themed characters.
- Skylanders: Trap Team - Nat Loh
- Frito-Lay And Activision Reveal Final Three Characters Vying To Become The First-Ever Fan-Selected Skylanders Hero
- Skylanders Universe: The Complete Collection (2015), page 169
- The Cutting Room Floor's article on SuperChargers